1. Thanks to everyone who came out for my chat yesterday. Despite some technical issues, I got a lot of great questions and it was really fun. (Although when I couldn't see the questions and got logged off by accident I almost had a nervous breakdown, which was not exactly fun. But it was exciting!) When you do a lot of interviews and chats, you often get some of the same questions, i.e. "Where do you get your inspiration?" and "Which of your books is your favorite?" Every once in awhile, though, someone will toss one out that I've never gotten before and completely throw me for a loop. This time, it was, "If you could be any animal, what would it be, and why?" i was completely stymied. I panicked and said a cat, because they don't care what people think and get to sleep a lot. But I'm not even a cat person! I just didn't know what else to say. I felt like I was on a Barbara Walters special, but without the complimentary lighting. I am still thinking about what animal I'd be, and still can't come up with an answer.
2. In other news, our long national nightmare is over: Project Runway s coming back this summer!
I am so freaking excited. It'll be moving to Lifetime, and to LA for the season, but hopefully it will still be the show we know and love. Not having it on Bravo will be kind of weird, though. I will miss that cheesy Bravo feel, plus the ads for all the other shows I have gotten addicted to, like Top Chef and Real Housewives. Still, it's back. That's all that matters.
3. In other TV news, I cannot believe that this fall, Guiding Light is going off the air
. While I am not a big soap watcher now, there was a time when I REALLY loved them, and Guiding (as we called it) was one of my faves. I mean, hello, Reva and Josh? I loved that storyline. Some say that soaps can't compete with reality TV and talk shows during the day, and maybe that's true. But I admire anything that can keep a story going for so many years, through all those characters and intricacies. I guess everything ends sometime, but still, sad.
4. This weekend, my Tarheels play Villanova on Saturday night for a chance to go to the NCAA Championship game and I am NERVOUS. I am so glad it is an evening game, so I can actually watch it, instead of just catching harried glimpses while chasing Sasha around. Although that has made me not quite as involved in the games, which can be a good thing. I have enough to get my heart racing these days!
5. And finally, big news: to celebrate the paperback release of Lock and Key (on May 14th) and my new community site Sarah-land
(open now!) I'm having a CONTEST! Here's the idea. We got to thinking about the idea of Sarahland, and what it really means: to me, it's the idea that I've always tried to make my books take place, well, anywhere. Sure, there's Lakeview, and Colby, but in my mind, it could just as easily be your town, or my town, or anytown. So with that in mind, we'd like to see what Sarahland looks like where YOU are. Confused? Don't be. Here's the idea: take a picture of something where YOU live that reminds you of one of my books, and add a quote to it. Here are a few examples, from MY hometown:
Here's how you enter:
1. Take a picture, add your own quotes or text.
2. Send it in an email (as an attachment) to sarah at sarah dessen dot com. You'll receive an autoresponse, which will let you know we got your entry. Put your full name in the body of the email. Only one entry per person, please. This contest is open only to US residents. Sorry! We're hoping to do something more international down the road.
3.The photos must be original, i.e. YOU took them yourself (we'll disqualify any that look like they are stock images, sorry). By sending us your image, you give us permission to post it on Sarah-land, my blog, and my Facebook fan page.
3. We will accept entries until midnight EST on Sunday, May 10th.
4. We'll pick our favorites and announce winners on or around May 14th, when Lock and Key is published in paperback.
FIRST PRIZE: A lock and key necklace, USWIM t-shirt, signed copy of Lock and Key AND advance copy of Along for the Ride
SECOND PRIZE: USWIM shirt and signed copy of Lock and Key, advance copy of Along for the ride
THIRD PRIZE: Signed copies of Lock and Key and Along for the Ride
I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
Have a great day, everyone!